Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Love Song of Mrs. Jones

I'm in the process of collecting work for my graduate application portfolio and came across this little poem.  Just thought I'd share.

The Love Song of Mrs. Jones 
 

The voices of the children are like tinkling glass

And for a moment

Their song is all I hear.

A ray of morning sun shines through the window,

Skips atop the baby girl’s sandy curls

And lands on my folded hands.

Once slender and smooth,

They now creak and bend as one tries to smooth away

The wrinkles of the other. 

I do not tell them how you held that hand

As Sade played,

Because they would not understand that it wasn’t love.

Was it.

They do not know how friends can sit in silence

And just comfortably be

Like you and me.

But even in the silence

The words danced between us.

They hovered above our heads mid-conversation,

Ever threatening, but never managing,

To manifest themselves into something other than a thing.

A thing we had once

At times

Still

Always 

And now I sit here gazing at these beautiful children

Who are not yours,

Listening to the shuffling of the morning paper

In the hands of a still-strong, black man

Who is not you.

I think we knew, even then

We would live our lives out separately,

Happily. 

But today

When my grandkids asked me to explain “forever”

I wanted to tell them your name. 

AFH

6/7/07

No comments: