Monday, March 16, 2009

Conscious Consciousness

Written 12/29/2006

Seconds before consciousness sweeps over me, I feel myself breathing. The first breath feels like the first of my life, though I know they have been coming in rhythmic pattern for 27 years.
Slowly, I become aware of my body. Lithe limbs tingling, a wave of warmth moving inward towards my spine. The wave finds its way to my dream-weary mind and rests there.

Consciousness.

I feel as if I have just been plugged in. The currents of reality course through my body. At once, I am part of this universe. Interminably attached. My place in it carefully carved out.
Then comes the familiar longing. The desire to push at the boundaries of my place in the universe. My arms stretch out in response. Fingers brush against obligations, memories and expectation. Though threaded together, they give way at my touch.
There is room to grow.
Hope swells.
It is at this moment that my eyes flutter open. Just before the light of day reflects off each surface of the world around me, I catch a glimpse of it.
Opportunity.
A chance for freedom.

1 comment:

Maureen Israel said...

YesYesYes!

I love it :) Definitely your forte (along with your writing skillz, of course...)