Monday, July 27, 2009

Operation Relocation - part 2

In effort to get rid of at least SOME of the crap that has come to live in my house over the last two years, I held a moving sale. I borrowed folding tables from my job, hired two former students, bought labels and signs, got change for a twenty, and set Leila up with a lemonade stand. Ta-da! Easy money.

Ha!

Saturday morning dawned at approximately 150 degrees. Curious garage sale shoppers trickled in, rifling through my belongings, wrinkling up their noses and asking "how much?". The items were all labeled.
I'd point out the price and the bargain shoppers offered something considerably less. It always ended with one of us walking away insulted.
Stingy Shopper: "How dare she charge $4 for this toddler Easter dress with matching sweater, only worn two times!"

Me: "How dare she offer $2 for this cute little outfit. I'd rather burn it and scatter the ashes in the Gulf of Mexico than give it to HER!"

I could never own a retail store.

Four hours of blazing heat and wheeling and dealing later, I had raised a grand total of.... $45.
Crap.
I'd spent $30 at Target on supplies for the stupid garage sale. Subtract the money I intended to give the students for helping me and I had a net profit of -$5.

At first, the idea was to hold a follow-up blow-out sale. But the prospect of practically begging Stingy Shopper to buy my stuff was more than I could bear. Besides, some HATERS in my deed restricted neighborhood had removed half of my "Moving Sale this way" signs.

So, as of right now, my garage looks like a flea market. My house looks like Hurricane Ike hit it. And I feel like I'm about to lose it.

Yay for moving!

Here's my To-Do list for today.

  • Wash and pack Leila's clothes and sheets
  • Clean Leila's room
  • Sort clothes in my room
  • Pack my bedroom
  • Clean the kitchen
  • Wash endless piles of laundry that the cat has peed on because, for some reason, she's taken to peeing on everything and I'm seriously thinking about having her put to sleep or SHOT (but Leila would probably be upset about that). @#*&!* cat!
  • Cling to sanity

Just 3 more days until moving day...and the battle continues.

No comments: